This course requires 8 options.
Pre-Health Studies (13PHS)
Teacher in Charge: Vicky Blake
Are you interested in a career in nursing or other health-related vocations?
If you have a genuine interest in helping others, but lack the formal qualifications, this course will provide that opportunity.
This one year course provides a learning pathway to further training in the health sector. You will acquire the prescribed knowledge and skills in Human biology, Cell biology, Chemistry and Maths, while gaining experience in the workplace too.
- Study human cells and cell systems
- Find out about body systems like the digestive and the circulatory system
- Learn to use chemicals and apparatus safely
- Explore scientific calculations
- Use basic mathematical skills to solve problems relevant to the nursing profession
Placement and Practical Work
- Receive individualised workplace support as you work in a health- care setting
- Study ageing and personal care of residents in a care setting
- Learn how to relate to residents in a healthcare setting
- Learn and apply safe practice within a healthcare setting
- Gain a first-aid certificate
16 Hours per week
Limited spaces available
Recommended Prior Learning
- Age 18+ interview
- Literacy requirements: IELTS 5.5 or recent Level 2 English credits or equivalent, or an entrance test.
- Background in Science an advantage.
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
Under 19 - $0 (MOE Funded)
Age 19+ - $220
Specialty Course Cost - $200
First Aid Course
Level 3 New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Pre-health)