This course requires 8 options.
Jewellery Design (12JWL)
Teacher in Charge: Vicki Dixon
School of Fashion
What is your Fashion Narrative?
Fashion has a big effect on our lives by defining style and culture. It is a way to express personality, and sometimes to send a message. Fashion plays a role in the lives of most people since it helps them fit in or stand out from the crowd.
What do your fashion choices say about you? Whether you wish to study Fashion at tertiary level, work in the fashion industry or express yourself through fashion, this course is for you.
The Hagley School of Fashion is a creative environment that allows you the freedom to write your own fashion narrative and supports you on your individual journey.
Level 3 (21 credits)
- Drafting pattern blocks for women, men and children
- Designing and making patterns to own measurements
- Grading Patterns
- Manipulating pattern blocks to create fashion or costume garments
- Production design and manufacture
- Production procedures and pricing
- Knowledge required to start a label
- Development of personal website
- Garment construction techniques
- Maintaining quality across a production run
- Tailoring techniques
- Sustainable fashion focus
NCEA Achievement Standards in Technology Level 3 (16 credits UE Approved)
- Competition level design, construction and entry
- Use garment design to portray a story
- Create garments of complex design
- Gain a working knowledge of the design process
- Create an original collection
NCEA Art Portfolio, Level 2 or 3 (22 UE Approved credits, 8 internals and 14 externals)
- The design process
- Media and technical illustration
- Drawing using photography
- Skills in using Photoshop
16 Hours per week
Students wishing to attain University Entrance must take an additional approved subject.
Recommended Prior Learning
Moderate to advanced sewing skills or by HOD discretion.
Interview required and portfolio is helpful
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
Under 19 - $0 (MOE Funded)
Age 19+ - $220
Specialty Course Cost - $600
(Take home materials including own customised resource kit)
60+ Credits (of which 30 are UE approved in two separate domains)
18 Approved credits Art. 16 Approved UE credits in technology